PATHOLOGY COURSE OUTLINE
This course looks at the pathology testing that is becoming such a large part of naturopathic and nutritional practice. We also look at some standard pathology tests and how to interpret them from a naturopathic standpoint, as well as some functional pathology. We will run through tests in blood, stool, urine, and saliva.
We will look at the testing from 3 symptom pictures – Fatigue / Digestive Disorders / Nutritional and Food Testing.
So, if you have a patient with these symptoms or issues, which test would you / could you order? What will it tell you? Are there any limitations to the tests you run and which labs do them? The sessions will also cover the different pathology labs and how to contact them and set up accounts.
WORKSHOP SESSION 3 – PATHOLOGY OF NUTRITION
Session 3 will look at nutrient levels in the body. As naturopaths and nutritionists, we often recommend supplements based on the assumption that patients (and ourselves) are deficient. There are ways of testing for certain nutrients and energy pathways that use the nutrients and based on those results whether supplements are needed.
We will look at certain conditions that may lead you to suspect deficiencies and we will look at the testing for food allergies and sensitivities in this seminar. Again, the strengths and weaknesses of each test will be discussed. Treatment plans for each condition in these seminars will not be the focus of the discussion but will be mentioned as we go through each lecture.
Nutritional assessment of adults –
- Physical signs / Dietary analysis/ Food reactions – IgE, IgG, IgA / Different testing measures of food reactions
Tests to run –
- Minerals – Zn, Cu, Fe, Se, Iodine / Influence of Inflammation / Electrolytes – Anion Gap
- Vitamins – Vit D, Vit B6 / Pyrroles / Vit B12, folate / Vitamin D
- Other tests – (What about other nutrients?)
- Red Cell Tests / Organic Acids Test / Urinary Amino Acids / Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis
- EFA’S – Essential Fatty Acids Testing / Omega-3 Index Test